Higher Education Compliance Specialist
Harrisburg University of Science and Technology - Harrisburg, PA
Posted 1 year ago
The Higher Education Compliance Specialist (Compliance Specialist) develops, implements, and oversees programs and trainings to ensure Harrisburg University of Science and Technology’s compliance with required protocols, policies, regulations, and laws with the aim to foster a safe, supportive, and positive environment that is conducive to the academic pursuit and healthy personal development of all persons. The Compliance Specialist works closely with students, staff, faculty, human resources, Esports, and academic affairs to oversee HU’s compliance efforts. The Compliance Specialist is supervised by HU’s General Counsel and is part of the Office of General Counsel.THIS POSITION EXCLUDES TITLE IV COMPLIANCE MATTERS.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS(Any applicant who does not have experience in higher education compliance will not be considered)
- J.D. degree preferred but not required. Position requires a minimum of three years of experience in higher education compliance including investigative experience.
- The ability to assist in the development and implementation of programs and trainings to ensure compliance with required policies, protocols, regulations, and laws including federally mandated program requirements.
- Interpret and administer policies and procedures related to:
- Title IX,
- Violence against Women Act (VAWA)
- Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act
- Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act)
- The Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act (EADA)
- The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504)
- The Age Discrimination Employment Act (ADEA)
- The Drug and Alcohol Abuse Prevent Program (DAAPP)
- The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Effectively manage complex tasks and changing priorities with an exceptional attention to detail and follow through.
- Coordinate campus initiatives to ensure campus philosophies and policies concerning compliance are embedded into campus culture.
- Provide leadership in subject-matter issues related to compliance.
- Develop and execute a strategic action plan to ensure campus-wide compliance.
- Effectively serve as a liaison among all university offices that are impacted by compliance activities, as well as HU Leadership.
- Effectively translate complex compliance information into common terms.
- Demonstrate clear and concise verbal and written communication.
- The ability to oversee and provide input to a variety of compliance related programs.
- Create solutions consistent with HU’s organizational policies and HU’s philosophy.
- Demonstrate strong ability to identify analyze and solve problems in a positive and productive manner.
- The ability to conduct all aspects of a compliance investigation including the development of an investigation plan, the interviewing of witnesses, and the writing of a report.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties may vary and other duties may be assigned.
- Coordinator for Title IX, VAWA, the Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act, as well as other matters regarding sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, gender and interpersonal violence, sexual assault, and related policy violations.
- Coordinator of Disability Services to process, assess, and coordinate requests for academic and workplace accommodations under the ADA and Section 504.
- Chair of the Clery Committee and author of the annual security report.
- Chair of the DAAPP Committee and author of the biennial DAAPP report for the Drug Free Schools and Communities Act.
- Coordinator and submitter of statistical information required for EADA.
- Oversee compliance, responses, applicable reports,and the development of institutional formsincluding but not limited to the following statutes:
- The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s Timothy J. Piazza Antihazing Law
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) Laws and Regulations
- Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission (PHRC) Laws and Regulations
- Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA)
- Clery Act
- Drug Free Schools and Communities Act
- ADA/Section 504
- Develop policies or revisions to handbooks, catalogs, and policies as required including the insertion of all proper notifications and language in consultation with respective functional areas of the university.
- Assign, oversee, and coordinate investigators for compliance complaints.
- Serve as an alternate compliance investigator in the event of conflict, potential allegations of bias,or unavailability of an investigator.
- Serve as a facilitator for alternative dispute resolutions such as mediation.
- Other duties as assigned.
ABOUT HARRISBURG UNIVERSITY
Harrisburg University offers an applied science and technology education for students who want a degree and a dedicated pathway to a career. Its focus is to educate career-minded individuals in the areas of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM careers), giving them the tools to succeed, while helping to shape their communities, locally and beyond. Our goal is to help stimulate economic growth in our region by establishing a STEM educated workforce — a necessary resource in today’s economy.
Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is an independent educational institution offering innovative academic and research programs in science and technology that respond to local and global needs. The institution fosters a diverse community of learners, provides access and support to students who want to pursue a career in science and technology, and supports business creation and economic development.