Product Design Manager
Walt Disney Company - New York, NY
Posted 1 year ago
Disney Streaming Services is changing how people watch sports, movies and esports. Fans demand content on their own terms: anywhere, anytime on any device. Our mission is to create the best entertainment experience and push the envelope of whats possible. Its an incredibly exciting time to work in streaming media as more content creators seek how to engage their audience with compelling user experiences. The design team has a pivotal role at Disney in giving form to new ideas and continually improving these apps that people use every day.
As a Product Design Manager in the Disney Streaming Services Team, you will lead a small team of product designers through the product development process. This role reports to the Senior Director of Design.
- Lead a small team of designers (2-4 people) ranging from associate to principal level.
- Coach the team in using a mature, modern, user-centered design process.
- Facilitate the successful delivery of our work from concept to deployment.
- Represent their team and their work to stakeholders and external teams.
- Collaborate with peers in product, engineering and marketing on cross-functional projects from start to finish.
- Lead your team in mapping out their career development path, and course correct their development, using regular 1:1 meetings and semi-annual reviews.
- Identify areas for improvement within the product design team covering people, process, and practice. Partner with the design ops team in creating an action plan.
- Work across design and Disney Streaming services to create strong relationships with other leads in product, engineering and research.
- 8+ years experience as a designer working on consumer products.
- Experience leading (bonus: managing) a team of designers through at least one full product development cycle
- You have a high level of craftsmanship in multiple craft skills
- You have a strong ability to prioritize work and resources across engagements based on short and long-term needs.
- You can translate strategies into inspiring concepts and successful executions.
- You bring a growth mindset to ambiguity as an opportunity for design to lead product development with new features and user goals.
- You are comfortable presenting your designs to a different kinds of audiences.
- You have a passion for evolving the design practice; its people, processes and tools.
Disney Streaming Services is a leading technology services and video streaming company owned by The Walt Disney Company, MLB Advanced Media and the National Hockey League.