Software Engineer - Developer Infrastructure
Twitch - San Francisco, CA
Posted 8 months ago
Launched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We're always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch on LinkedIn, Twitter and on our Blog.
About the Position
We are growing the video engineering team at Twitch to deal with the challenging problem of being the 4th biggest consumer of bandwidth and one of the largest gaming experiences in the world. Here's a short list of current scale:
- Serve more than 150 million unique visitors per month
- More than 2 million peak concurrent users
- 16 billion minutes of video watched each month and growing
- Anticipated scale year-over-year = 2.5x
To support this rapid expansion we're investing in tools and automation to help our engineers be as happy as possible. You will join a new team to build the next generation of tools for Twitch's video software and infrastructure teams. These tools will help engineers work and deploy more stable software. When you *really* nail it, they'll love the tools and be delighted every day.
We're kicking off lots of new projects here so you'll have an opportunity to design solutions and then implement your vision. You'll work with the users of your solutions, as you'll be part of Twitch's video team.
The video tools team works with software development, devops, and operations teams to specify and develop the next generation of tools used by our organization and help us migrate to those tools.
- Build tools that make engineers happy and make them more efficient
- Help the video organization migrate from one technology to another completely
- Develop tools to improve deployment and integration testing
- Support developers as they migrate code to use to Twirp, Twitch's interface description system
- Specify and build systems for centralized logging, monitoring, configuration management, profiling, and credential management
- Work with your customers (other engineers) to understand their tooling needs
- Find opportunities on your own team and others to automate
- Always strive toward continuous improvement and operational efficiency
- Evaluate new systems rapidly to understand their strengths and weaknesses
- Contribute to build vs. buy decisions
- Co-own (with the team) projects delivering team goals
- Write code in Go to support all of the above
- BS in Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of full-time industry experience
- Experience delivering tools and/or development infrastructure for software development or operations.
- Demonstrated ability coding at the system level in a language such as C, C++, Go, Rust, or Python.
- Write documentation for technical users.
- Understand complex systems and create wide-cutting improvements.
- Experience measuring performance and optimizing backend services.
- Experience writing Go or open-source contributions.
- Experience deploying code in a service-oriented architecture to AWS using multiple AWS features.
- Experience working on large bare metal estates (>1000 hosts).
- Experience with integration testing in a service-oriented architecture.
- Experience automating operational workflows.
- Experience migrating an existing system to a multi-datacenter environment.
- Experience with a configuration management tools such as Puppet, Ansible, or Chef.
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Commuter Benefits
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.)
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily
- Free Snacks & Beverages
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.