Associate Product Manager- eSports
Upper Deck - Carlsbad, CA 92008
Posted 7 months ago
Assists in the conceptualization, development and maintenance of the product portfolios for sports, eSports and entertainment trading card categories that are created under the Upper Deck Collectibles (UDC) division. Assists in the creation of unique, innovative products in line with the Company's overall sales and profit goals for wholesale, retail, direct hobby and ePack distribution channels. Assists in the development and implementation of product category range strategies with an emphasis on the ePack digital platform. Helps to determine and oversee the selection of appropriate supplies to meet strict product quality, safety, manufacturing and ethical standards. Works in accordance with Director of Product Development and Brand Manager regarding external licensing and business relationships for strategy and product approvals. Assists in the preparation and presentation of business/product/marketing strategies and financial costing reports.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Product Development: In conjunction with internal and external parties, assists with the management of the development of products in line with the Company's strategic initiatives; meeting legal, financial and design requirements and delivering consistent quality and safety standards. Designs wide range of assortment to meet channel distribution demands; including private label programs, premiums and promotional items, direct marketing campaigns, hobby and mass market and limited edition programs. Assists in providing direction on regional and local product customization.
- Product Determination and Selection: Assist in the development of categories and products commensurate with strategies specified in licensed product portfolio strategies and business plans. Conducts research on market trends and takes supporting role in all aspects of development including design development, milestone schedules, financials, license approvals, delivery timelines, and solicitation materials. Assists in providing input on reliable and cost effective sources within established development process.
- Licensed Property Product Portfolio Management: Assists in providing product portfolio management of licensed properties. Works with Executive Team, Sales, and Legal to support selection and evaluation of prospective eSports and entertainment focused licenses. Conducts research for viable new eSports and entertainment focused licenses as well as renewal of existing contracts. Anticipates,identifies, and capitalizes on eSports and entertainment market industry trends.
- Inventory Range Analysis and Planning: Assists in development of business and range plans based on analysis of sales history, market trends and corporate strategy. Plans to include sales and profit margin, number of sku’s, space allocation, store distribution, launch schedules, and price point architecture.
- Quality Control/Ethics: Assists in determination and communication of product quality standards. Monitors quality and manufacturing standards ensuring adherence to Code of Conduct. Works closely with Operations to minimize manufacturing errors and delivery slippage. Understands value drivers of the secondary market and monitors appropriate channels to uphold product integrity.
- Trading Terms: Works closely with Finance selecting and agreeing on trading terms, sourcing suppliers and monitoring performance.
- Marketing, Advertising, Promotion and Solicitation Activity: Provides input into Marketing/Advertising/PR campaigns in line with corporate strategies and initiatives or other activities as designated. Attends regional Sales and Distributor meetings and Trade Shows to communicate product plans and strategies. Manages the development of the catalogs and solicitation materials.
- Systems and Administration: Assists in management of accuracy of data input onto the system and communicated throughout the organization. Assists in maintenance of supplier compliance manuals. Monitors cost of goods and inventory levels for signatures and raw materials. Review all sku’s on a planned schedule, works closely with Finance when new orders are due to prepare preliminary data and review profit and loss statements.
- Communication: Responsible for keeping the Company up-to-date with ranging developments. Liaison with other departments. Recommends, communicates, and coordinates launch strategies and calendars, license acquisitions, product promotions, sales, etc. Provides initial direction on layout and art design.
EDUCATION/ YEARS EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred, not required) with an emphasis in Marketing, Product Development and Design or a closely related field or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years experience in sports and entertainment trading card industry
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- General understanding of sports and entertainment trading card market
- Familiarity with eSports and the associated digital games
- Extensive knowledge on monetization and incentivisation systems within digital games.
- Exceptional organizational skills with ability to handle multiple, high priority projects with attention to detail.
- Superior interpersonal, leadership, negotiating, consulting, presentation, analytical and problem solving abilities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally on behalf of the Company.
- Strong background in management of direct and department reports and internal/external teams
- Ability to interface with internal and external parties, professional demeanor, team player.
- Hands on, energetic, motivated self-starter with ability to travel on behalf of the Company.
- Proficient in MS Office with advanced expertise in Excel.